Meets at the Victoria Masonic Temple, Galle Face, Colombo 03,
on the 4th Monday each month of the year with the Installation
Meeting on the 2nd Saturday in December.
Date of Warrant
: 16th February 1861
The Warrant of SPHINX
LODGE , from the Grand Lodge of Ireland, is dated the
16th February, 1861, and was granted to Brothers Arthur Hansnrow,
Henry Thompson and Charles Henry Newton. Master and Members of
the Queen’s Own lodge, No. 58 attached to Her Majesty’s
50th Regiment, Queen Own Royal West Kent Regiment 1st Battalion
then serving in Ceylon.
The name of SPHINX was given to the Lodge, as
a token of esteem and regard for the Queen’s Own Lodge,
No. 58, whence SPHINX LODGE emanated, and as
a compliment to the 50th Regiment, which greatly distinguished
itself in Egypt, and bears the SPHINX as the
leading badge on the colors of the Regiment.
As the WARRANT enjoins that the meetings of SPHINX LODGE
shall be held at Colombo, DISPENSATION was granted by the GRAND
LODGE OF IRELAND to W. Master, Wardens, and officers of the Queen’s
own Lodge No. 58, authorizing and empowering then to dedicate
SPHINX LODGE 107, at such time and place as they
might deem convenient, and to install the first Master.
The dedication of Sphinx Lodge No. 107, in accordance with the
dispensation, took place at Kandy at a meeting of the Queen’s
Own Lodge No. 58, performed the ceremony of dedication, in which
he was assisted by W. Brother John Whatly Venn. Past master of
St. John’s Lodge, No. 665 E. C.
W. Brother Richard Waddy also presided at the Installation of
the first Worshipful Master of Sphinx Lodge, W. Brother Arthur
Hanbrow, which took place on the occasion of the Dedication.
The Lodge Centenary was celebrated on Saturday, 22nd April 1961
at 6.15 p. m. in the Victoria Masonic Temple, Galle Face, Colombo.
To commemorate the event, R. W. Brother G. H. Montgomery Grand
Inspector for Ceylon, invested the Master, W. Brother Lt. Col.
D. F. T. Abeysinghe with a silver chain of office to be handed
down form Master to Master until time shall be no more with us.
The Grand Inspector then addresses the Brethren.
R. W. Brother R. Scott, District Grand master, E. C. and R. W.
Brother H. Chandiram Hon D. G. M. (U. S. F. I. C.) also addressed
the Lodge on behalf of the Sister Constitutions.
For the first time since the consecration of the Lodge in 1861,
a Banner was placed in the Lodge as a further mark of this epoch
making event. The Director of Ceremonies, W. Brother R. H. L.
De S. Illesinghe then addressed the Brethren and explained the
purpose and symbols blazoned thereon.
At present the Lodge has 30resident members, 10overseas members,
and 3 honorary members.
C. H. Newton
W. P. Charsley
J. J. Marcel
C. H. Stewart